Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Yes on Proposition 8
If you have ever wondered how legalizing gay marriage will affect you...watch this.
Also, one of my fav blogs, therhouse.blogspot.com, who is a huge adoption supporter, posted this and I couldn't say it better myself so here it is in her own words,
"opponents of proposition 8 say that adoption will not be affected if prop 8 gets voted down, that it will not change California’s adoption laws, or increase the potential for lawsuits against adoption agencies [religious or secular] ...to which i have to say, um ...it already has.
it is already happening.adoption.com and parentprofiles.com have already been under attack in california. they lost the legal battle and now their services are not available to california couples hoping to adopt or birth parents hoping to place in california. to read about that from the Family Equality Council (who are pleased about the defeat) click here.
i attended the national board meeting on friday for the Families Supporting Adoption. prop 8 came up. if it does not pass, it will be very near impossible for LDSFS to continue in the adoption world. already in massachusetts, LDSFS is getting pressure to close its doors as they do not offer services to homosexual couples. you may be thinking, "well, LDSFS doesn't offer services to heterosexual couples who are not endowed, sealed and active members of the Church." that is true and that is under attack as well.
here is what you need to know about prop 8 from an adoption standpoint:Religious adoption agencies will be challenged by government agencies to give up their long-held right to place children only in homes with both a mother and a father. Catholic Charities in Boston already closed its doors in Massachusetts (after 100 years of practice) because courts legalized same-sex marriage there.
i also came across this document.i was especially interested in talking point 9 which states,"Expanding the definition of marriage by including homosexualrelationships adds to the continued disregard for marriage’s ultimatepurpose. Where it has been legalized, same-sex marriage decreasesthe total number of marriages while increasing illegitimacy. Nine European nations have had same-sex marriage since the early 90’s—and just 2 percent of same-sex couples in these countries ever marry,while there has been 46 percent increase in out-of-wedlock births."
And, the Deseret news said this,
"California-citizen members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints currently living out of the state are being organized by the LDS Church to make phone calls — if needed — in support of California's Proposition 8.
Responding to a request from the Protect Marriage Coalition, the LDS Church is making arrangements for these members to call friends, family and fellow citizens in California "to urge support of the effort to defend traditional marriage," stated a Tuesday church-issued news release."
This is big people, big. If you know anyone in CA, urge them to vote yes on prop 8! As a couple seeking adoption, I am scared. As a future parent who may face my children dealing with this at school, I am scared. And you should be too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I have a hard time telling anyone that they don't have the right to do something, but we had a talk today in church about how we have to listen to the prophet...and it really got me thinking. One...is it right that someone can't marry who they love...I don't know. Second...the prophet has said that marriage is sacred and should be between man and women...I think that I will go with what the Lord tells us through the prophet. Until today I was very torn on this issue. Thanks for helping me see other sides of it and for getting me to start thinking about this a little more.
So good of you to put this on your blog. This election time is scaring me!!! I got your blog address from one of the Wymount ladies blogs - don't remember who's. By the way, do you have any idea what happened to the Wymount blog? Who deleted it? It's a mystery. Is it okay if I put a link to your blog on our family blog? email me and let me know. Littlebec1@gmail.com. Thanks!
I hope you don't mind that I share the words you wrote in your blog in my blog as we are dealing with the same issue in the state of Arizona. I hadn't even thought about how it affects adoption until I read your blog. Thanks for sharing and I hope that all is going well for you and your husband in your new home. I'm glad that you and Celisse have been able to keep in touch with one another! I have very fond memories of the Johns Creek ward family members and hope that you will tell your parents hi for me!
Post a Comment