Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day



I have always enjoyed Mother's Day. For my mom we always made her a candy bar poster/letter. I was usually proud of my work because my mom laughed really hard even though the jokes weren't that funny. I also love watching my dad give a present to my mom and come up with something special for her.




Then last year, I didn't think much of it until we were in sacrament meeting and emotions flooded me that I wasn't expecting. Something about the whole "every woman is a mother even if they don't have children" thing hit me and even though I believe that is true, I just wanted to be like, no I'm not a mother so everyone just cut the crap and stop making comments to me about how I will be a mother someday or even those who tell me I'm lucky not to have children.


Then, yesterday, I had two people tell me happy mother's day. And they meant it. They didn't say anything else. One of them knew my struggles and one did not. When each of them told me that, I somehow felt how deeply they meant it. And it was so nice. It was genuine. It wasn't one of those akward, "I don't really know what to say to you or how to deal with you, so I'll either ignore you or say something really insensitive and stupid." So thank you. You made my mother's day.




On a lighter note, I am so grateful for my mother and mother-in-law!




People tell me all the time how much they like my mom whether they just met her or whether have known her for some time. She is fun and quirky and sometimes ditsy- which we find hilarious and tease her about constantly. One of my favorite things about my mom is her willingness to share the gospel. She makes it so simple and matter of fact. Moving all around this country, she has planted many seeds and we will only know in the next life how much she really did. She had the faith to convert to the LDS church in college and I think that says A LOT about her. She endured huge trials for her faith and I think that is why she is so dedicated to the church-she had to work for it and prove how much she wanted it. She also loves serving. In her calling and at home she is constantly at work. We also tease her because she usually sneaks out when we are all watching a movie and later we find her doing laundry or cleaning or making phone calls to prepare for church. Also, she was really good at giving my siblings and I individual attention and tried really hard to be our friend (and she was our friend). There are so many more things that I could go on writting, but I will leave it there. I love you Mom!




I had the priveledge of knowing my mother-in-law before I married Brett. She was actually my seminary teacher and went walking and to the temple with my mom. I am so grateful that I had her for my teacher because now I know that one of her greatest talents is teaching. She has a vast knowledge of the gospel and she shares this so well with others. She is also very patient and loving. A couple years ago, she went back to school to finish her degree at BYU and was there part of the time Brett and I were there as well. Brett and I quickly learned that the students liked her much more than us. I respect her for going back to school, I think that would be so intimidating! When I was engaged or newly married to Brett, my friends from home kept telling me how lucky I was to have Marlene as a mother-in-law and its true. I love you Marlene!




Happy Mother's Day to Grandma Barb, Russell and Lindsay!


To my sister-in-laws, Amanda, Jana, Marnie and Ellen!




You are all amazing examples of mothers and the proof is in your children! I love you all, have a great day!


2 comments:

Amber said...

I want you to know you were in my thoughts today and I hope you feel another genuine Happy Mother's Day from me to you.

Jennifer said...

Oh, I miss you so much already!