Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Great Minnesota Get Together

Best Fair Food this year: Deep Fried Pickles, way better than the previous year.
My mom loves the french fries.

Turns out Parker does too! Parker inhaled the french fries and cheese curds, thats my boy!

Courtney and Parker got matching cow tattoos (we got a little worried when it wouldn't wash off with scrubbing for four days, BUT it was temporary thank goodness)



Footlong corn dog. We've learned that Corn Dawgs is the best, much better than pronto pup.

The crowd.

Doesn't he look like a sleepy turtle here?
Minnesota State Fair 2010. Oh, the long awaited fair. We missed it last year because of a certain newborn who had come our way. The year before that was my first year. I was a skeptic at first, having moved 10 times I've been to my fair share of fairs (pun intended). But this fair is epic. It's number two in the nation, behind Texas but only because their fair runs longer. By daily attendance, we are number one. Our first year was a learning curve. Once you learn your way around, it becomes a lot easier to schedule. For example, buy the giant bucket of chocolate chip cookies BEFORE you go to the dairy barn, then sit down with your $1 unlimited glass of milk and voila! milk and cookies till you vomit. Also, don't go on senior day, those senior citz will run you down with the rentable electric wheelchair and cut you off in line (true story). Even my grandma won't go on senior day, nuff said. Finally, go in a group. This way, you can share food so you eat less which really means you save room to eat more. The one thing I missed this year, chicken fried bacon. But I did manage deep fried pickles (x2), cookies, milk, lemonade, corn dog, french fries and cheese curds. While standing in line for the corn dog, I told Brett "I've waited two years for this corn dog." and the woman in front of us gave me a smile. No, she was not making fun of me, she was saying, "its all worth it, isn't it?" cause she's from Minnesota and she understands. You truly won't believe it unless you see it. Minnesota State Fair 2011 anyone? The tickets set us back $22, $15 for parking, and $60 for food. Was it worth it? Heck yeah. I was this close to wearing elastic waist pants, but the good (bad) thing about bringing a baby is that he only lasted 4 hours, so I didn't need them. Next year I may look into the campgrounds available there and make it a two day event.







7 comments:

Jared and Erin said...

Some people do it as their family vacation because of the economy. That's something we are looking into next year.

Carrie said...

Chicken friend bacon?! Oh my goodness that sounds like heaven! What a cool fair too. I love going to fairs but haven't been to a state fair for a while (Andrew doesn't like crowds). Oh well, maybe someday!

Brittany H. said...

So fun! I die for corn dogs!!!! :)))

Jenn said...

I love fair food! However, the deep fried pickles are NOT my thing. That corn dog looked fabulous though! I wanted to go to the Colorado State Fair, but I think it's clear down south in the Pueblo area. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but oh well. Glad you guys had such a good time.

Jenn said...

I love fair food, but I think I'd have to pass on the deep fried pickles. I'd definitely be in line for that corn dog though! I thought about going to the Colorado State Fair, until I realized it's clear down south-about 7 hours away. Doesn't make sense to me. Glad you guys had such a good time!

tiffromney said...

Foot long corn dog? Fried pickles? What in the world! That sounds so fun. Fairs are awesome. I was so happy to hear from you guys...we hope you are doing fantastic!

Emily said...

He is getting so big...and yummy on the fried pickles...love those.