Tuesday, August 3, 2010

My name is Heather and I am a Mormon

In the last two weeks, we've seen new "I'm a Mormon" commercials on T.V. They air during morning news shows and even during primetime shows. They have been shown so much that the local news (WCCO) did an interview with a representative in Salt Lake City last night. They have had many inquiries about why the commercials are showing. The commercials are being shown in 9 cities right now, according to the SLC rep. Brett, my dad, my visiting teachee and almost everyone at church that I spoke to has been approached multiple times about these commercials. The response is mostly curiousity as to why the commercials are being shown so often. Some believe it is to make the point that we are not affiliated with Warren Jeffs and others believe it is to pave the way for Mitt Romney to run again. I've heard some say they think it is "weird" for a church to advertise. At any rate, the church is being talked about and we are all finding ourselves brushing up on our missionary skills. I found it interesting that the commercials do not show or state "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" but ends with the words, " My name is ______ and I am a Mormon" and then the mormon.org link is shown. They are very well done however and show the diversity of our church here in the states. When I was working, most of my co-workers had never heard of Mormons or the LDS church. Those who had heard of the church here usually had little experience associating with Mormons so there were misconceptions. I am intimidated and yet excited about representing the church. It will be interesting to see how long these commercials run. I guess I should end here by saying, my name is Heather and I am a Mormon.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have also heard a lot about those commercials too. I think it's wonderful that so many people are starting to ask about it. I too need to brush up on Missionary skills.

Brittany H. said...

I haven't seen any here yet, but it sounds cool. However, every other billboard here is of some random church--like the Biker Baptist church. It's definitely eye opening! haha

Jared and Erin said...

I think they use the Mormon word approach because it's the term most people know and therefore can start clearing up some of the misconceptions. I used to say CofJCofLDS but realized that I should throw the Mormon term in so they could connect if they had heard it before. I haven't seen the commercials but that's really great!